Monday, December 21, 2009

Theology Becomes Real

Intimate Theology is an off-shoot because of a daily devotional, "My Utmost for His
Highest,"by Oswald Chambers. The premise is based on John 11:1-44, a propos of Martha's theology & faith (whose sister Mary was "the one who anointed the Lord with ointment and wiped His feet with her hair, whose brother Lazarus was sick.") Martha, Mary, and Lazarus are a family close to the heart of Jesus,but laiden with the pain of Lazarus' sickness and following death [slumber] (11:3).

Martha's theology is realistic and comforting however grim and emotionally painful the current circumstance in her life and her sister's life (11:17-27).

Her correct faith moves her to believe that when Christ comes He will heal her brother. Martha also believes that Jesus has a special intimacy with God, and that whatever He asks of God, God will do. Her theology had its fulfillment in the
future (11:23-27) but regardless, Jesus draws her in until her belief becomes an intimate possession.

Is Jesus teaching you to have a personal intimacy with Himself? Especially in the West, in the personal problems that are present (sickness of a loved one, work issues, children, singleness, marital strife, family strife, church strife...),
perhaps that is when we realize our personal need. Perhaps these circumstances boil up to an overwhelming crossroads where your theology is about to become a very personal belief.

To believe in Christ is to commit to Christ. Then be changed by Christ. In the area of intellectual learning I commit myself mentally, and reject anything not related to that belief. In the realm of personal belief I commit myself morally to my convictions and refuse to compromise.

How personal and intimate is your theology? Your belief should be\MUST BE intimate and personal since I have committed myself spiritually to Jesus Christ (Luke 18:15-17; Matt 7:21-23). I am dominated by Him alone (Rom 5-6).

I am staggered: the more I believe in Him, how foolish I have been in not trusting Him earlier.

"Beware of an undevotional theology, and an untheological devotion." - John Stott

No comments:

Labels